What are the alternatives in case of flights to/from Lukla gets cancelled or delayed?

Lukla flights
Lukla flights

Flight cancellations in the Himalayas are as common as the peaks themselves, due to unpredictable nature of mountain weather. At Eve Holidays, we prioritize the safety and convenience of our guests, which is why we strongly advise allowing for at least three extra days at the end of your trek for contingencies. While we do our utmost to adhere to the itinerary, the adventure in the mountains may not always unfold as planned. Flexibility and patience are key virtues during such situations.

Before starting the Everest Base Camp Trek, it’s crucial to understand the alternatives available in case of flight cancellations from Ramechhap or Kathmandu to Lukla:

  1. Wait for Clear Weather: If your flight is canceled due to bad weather, you can opt to wait for improved conditions and proceed with the Everest Base Camp Trek as scheduled. However, any additional expenses for meals, accommodations, salary of guide and porters etc, incurred during the wait will be charged to you per day according to your trip cost per day.
  2. Explore Alternative Treks: Consider the possibility of switching to another trek of similar duration and cost, such as Annapurna Base Camp Trek, Langtang Valley Trek, or Mardi Himal Trek. If you opt for a more expensive trip, you will be required to cover the price difference.
  3. Partial Trek Option: Alternatively, you can wait for a clear window to fly to Lukla and commence the remaining days of Everest Base Camp Trek. This option allows you to complete the trek without incurring extra expenses.
  4. Helicopter Transfer: For those unwilling to wait, the option of a helicopter transfer to Lukla for you and your trekking guide is available at an additional cost.

In the event of flight cancellations or delays from Lukla to Kathmandu or Ramechhap after completing the trek, the following options are available:

  1. Helicopter Evacuation: Opt for a helicopter flight back to Kathmandu or Ramechhap, though this will incur extra expenses.
  2. Wait for Clear Weather: If you have spare days before your international departure, waiting in Lukla until the weather improves and regular flights resume is an option. However, the expenses of you and your guide for any additional nights spent in Lukla will be on your own.

It’s important to note that in extreme weather conditions where helicopters are unable to operate or if travelers haven’t allocated extra contingency days, there is a risk of missing international flights. Therefore, thorough planning and flexibility are essential for a successful and stress-free Everest Base Camp Trek experience.

At Eve Holidays, we are committed to ensuring that our guests are well-prepared and supported throughout their journey, regardless of any unforeseen challenges that may arise. With careful consideration and contingency planning, your adventure in the Himalayas will be both safe and unforgettable.

Leave a Reply